SIU investigators remain in the City of Kawartha Lakes to investigate the circumstances surrounding an interaction yesterday that resulted in the death of a one-year-old child and serious injuries to a 33-year-old man. An Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) officer was also seriously injured.
As of today:
- A post-mortem on the child is scheduled for tomorrow morning in Toronto.
- The child’s father, the 33-year-old man, had been airlifted to a hospital in Toronto. He remains in hospital.
- The OPP officer who sustained serious injuries is also in hospital in stable condition.
- From the scene, investigators have collected three police-issued firearms which will be sent to the Centre of Forensic Sciences for analysis. A fourth firearm – a handgun – was located in the pickup truck. Investigators are in the process of taking possession of the handgun.
- Three subject officers and 13 witness officers have been designated.
- Two civilian witnesses have been interviewed.
- The vehicle will be taken to the Centre of Forensic Sciences for examination.
The SIU appreciates the public interest in this tragic case and is doing what it can to get answers to the public as quickly as possible while ensuring that the integrity of the investigation is not compromised. We ask for the public’s continued patience.
The SIU is urging anyone who may have information about this investigation to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529. The Unit is also urging anyone who may have any video evidence related to this incident to upload that video through the SIU website.