On Sunday January 24, 2021, a traffic stop conducted by members from the Northumberland Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) resulted in the seizure of a loaded firearm and two individuals being arrested.
At approximately 7:20 pm officers responded to a report of black SUV with Quebec licence plates being driven in an erratic manner travelling westbound on Highway 401 heading towards Northumberland County from the Quinte West area.
The vehicle was stopped by officers on Highway 401 in Alnwick-Haldimand Township east of County Road 23. Upon speaking with the two adult occupants, officers noted a strong odour of cannabis emanating from the vehicle. The driver provided officers with false identification and was arrested. A search of the vehicle resulted in the location and seizure of cannabis and a loaded hand gun.
As a result of the investigation Jefferson-Denley Edouard (age 24) of Laval, Quebec, and Kency Bien-Aime (age 21) of Montreal, Quebec, were arrested and each charged with:
- Transport firearm, weapon, prohibited device or ammunition in a careless manner
- Unauthorized possession of a firearm
- Knowledge of unauthorized possession of firearm
- Occupant of vehicle knowing there was prohibited device or ammunition
- Possession of prohibited device or ammunition for dangerous purpose
- Possession of loaded prohibited or restricted firearm
- Possession of prohibited or restricted firearm/ammunition
- Carry concealed prohibited device or ammunition
- Carrying concealed weapon
- Possession of firearm knowing serial number has been tampered with
- Occupant of motor vehicle knowing there was a firearm
Jefferson-Denley Edouard was addionally charged with:
- Obstruct peace officer
- Dangerous operation
- Fail to comply with undertaking
- Fail to comply with probation order
- Drive vehicle with cannabis readily available
- Fail to identify self
- Drive motor vehicle – no licence
Kency Bien-Aime was additionally charged with:
- Failure to comply with release order – (two counts)
The accused individuals were both held in custody for a bail hearing.