The province’s Special Investigations Unit is investigating the circumstances surrounding a vehicle collision that occurred last night in Roseneath, resulting in the death of a 62-year-old man.
Preliminary information suggests the following:
• At approximately 9:40 p.m. on February 27, 2021, an Ontario Provincial Police officer was en route to a call, operating a police vehicle eastbound on County Road 18 in Roseneath.
• Just east of Roseneath Landing Road, the officer observed a vehicle coming towards him.
• The officer pulled over the police vehicle, and then proceeded to make a u-turn.
• A short time later, the officer came across that same vehicle in a ditch on the north side of County Road 18. The vehicle had struck a tree.
• The 62-year-old male driver was pronounced deceased at the scene.
Two investigators, two forensic investigators and one collision reconstructionist have been assigned to the case. At this time, one officer has been designated as the subject official. The post-mortem is scheduled for tomorrow in Kingston.
The SIU is urging anyone who may have information about this investigation to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529. The Unit is also urging anyone who may have any video evidence related to this incident to upload that video through the SIU website.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
• consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
• depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
• publicly report the results of its investigations