A man has been arrested after police responded to a family dispute.
On the evening of March 30, 2021, police attended a private residence in central Cobourg in response to reports of an assault in progress. It was reported that a man was assaulting another male in the household. Police located the man outside of the residence, fighting with neighbours who had come to assist. No serious injuries occurred during the altercation.
As a result of the police investigation, the man was charged with the following offences:
- Assault with A Weapon contrary to section 267(a) of the Criminal Code x2
- Assault contrary to section 266 of the Criminal Code
- Mischief contrary to section 430(1)(a) of the Criminal Code
- Possession of a prohibited weapon contrary to section 91(2) of the Criminal Code
- Traffic in a Schedule I Substance contrary to section 5(1) of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act
- Possession of a Weapon contrary to Prohibition Order contrary to section 117.01(1) of the Criminal Code
- Fail to Comply with Release Order contrary to section 145(5)(a) of the Criminal Code x2
- Fail to Comply with Probation contrary to section 733.1(1) of the Criminal Code x2
- Possession of a Schedule I Substance contrary to section 4(1) of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act
The accused was held in custody pending a Show Cause hearing, and the name of the accused will not be released to protect the victim’s identity.