At 1:30 am on April 16, 2021, officers of the Cobourg Police Service responded to a business on King Street West after the clerk reported a female entered the store armed with a hammer.
The woman stole snack food and threatened the employee if he followed her.
Officers reviewed video footage and confirmed the identity of the woman and that she is a Cobourg resident.
At 02:40 hours, police located Desiree Irwin, a 29-year-old Cobourg resident, and arrested her in the downtown core while still in possession of the hammer.
During a search incident to the arrest, officers located approximately 12.8 grams of fentanyl.
Desiree Irwin was charged with the following:
- Robbery contrary to section 343(d) of the Criminal Code
- Uttering threats contrary to section 264.1(1)(a) of the Criminal Code
- Theft under $5000 contrary to section 334(b) of the Criminal Code
- Possession of property obtained by crime under $5000 contrary to section 335(b) of the Criminal Code
- Possession for the purpose of trafficking contrary to section 5(2) of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act
- Mischief contrary to section 430(1)(a) of the Criminal Code
Due to unforeseen circumstances that cannot be disclosed, the accused was released on an undertaking with strict conditions with a future court date in May 2021.