On the evening of Sunday, May 30, 2021, police were dispatched to a business in the northwest area of Cobourg for shoplifting in progress. The Loss Preventions Officer advised police that they were assaulted by the accused when they attempted to make an arrest for theft and possession.
As a result of the police investigation, Destiny MURPHY, a 22-year-old woman from the Town of Cobourg, was arrested. During the arrest, the accused resisted and spit on multiple officers. The accused was found in possession of stolen items and subsequently charged with the following offences:
- Theft Under $5000 – Contrary to Section 334(b) of the Criminal Code of Canada
- Possession of Property Obtained by Crime Under $5000 – Contrary to Section 355(b) of the Criminal Code of Canada
- Assault – Contrary to Section 266 of the Criminal Code of Canada x2
- Obstruct Peace Officer – Contrary to Section 129(a) of the Criminal Code of Canada
- Escape Lawful Custody – Contrary to Section 145(1) of the Criminal Code of Canada
- Assault Peace Officer – Contrary to Section 270(1)(a) of the Criminal Code of Canada x3
- Fail to Comply with Probation – Contrary to Section 733.1(1) of the Criminal Code of Canada
The accused was held for a bail hearing.