The Town of Cobourg’s Community Services Division would like to thank everyone who participated in this past year’s Seasonal Photography Contest and would also like to encourage submissions for the spring and summer 2021 intake.
Photographers of all skill levels are invited to share their unpublished, original work, and in support of local businesses, each winner will receive a gift card valued at $200 to any local business.
“We hope the contest has provided some great opportunities for our community members to get outside during this pandemic and enjoy our beautiful town, says Councillor Adam Bureau. “We have certainly enjoyed reviewing all of the fantastic submissions that have come in from our talented residents.”
Photography Contest Categories
Please note that the below categories are subject to change based on the season.
- Distinctly Local: Document your enjoyment and interaction with local shops, businesses, landmarks, historic buildings and arts and cultural experiences.
- Health and Fitness: Show how you will be taking advantage of Cobourg’s various outdoor fitness amenities this summer. For example walking, biking, hiking trails, canoes and kayaks, etc.
- Food and Drink: Highlight local restaurants, pubs and chef creations.
In addition to the three photography categories the Town of Cobourg is once again offering residents the opportunity to vote on their favourite image on social media. The photo with the most ‘likes’ will win the Community Choice Award will receive a $50 gift card to a local business of their choosing.
About the Jury Panel
Photographs will be juried at the end of each season by a panel consisting of Councillor Adam Bureau, Coordinator of Arts, Culture and Tourism, Olinda Casimiro, Executive Director of the Art Gallery of Northumberland, Ted Amsden, Ted Amsden Photography, Jason Robinson, Project Lola and staff from the Town of Cobourg’s Marketing and Events Department.
Photographs will be juried based on the following criteria:
- Clarity and quality
- Colour, lighting, exposure and focus
- Overall Impression/Impact/Inspirational power
The Jury would like to provide our community photographers with the following notes:
- Make sure your horizon lines are straight
- Include people enjoying Cobourg when you can
- Pay close attention to each category and theme. Help us tell a story with your photography
- Visit experiencecobourg.ca for complete details on judging criteria
- Maximum two (2) entries per person.
- Photographs may be black and white or colour.
- All works entered must be original and photographed by the individual or organization.
- All entries must be unpublished.
- All entries must be suitable for public viewing.
- Submissions must be high resolution digital photographs.
“Your images have helped us share Cobourg’s unique story through marketing materials that have been developed using user generated photos,” says Kara Euale, Manager of Marketing and Events. “Most recently, images from the Seasonal Photography Contest were used in the 2021 Cobourg Leisure Guide, including the cover photo by Kiera McKinley.”
All photos received will be added to the Town of Cobourg’s photography database and photographers may be given credit in future Experience Cobourg marketing materials. Photographs will also be shared on the Experience Cobourg website, social media pages and all winning images will be printed and put on display at the Cobourg Community Centre.