Members of the Peterborough County Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) responded to a traffic complaint on Highway 115 at approximately 1:30pm on July 16, 2021. The vehicle was located on Chemong Road and the driver was found to be impaired by drugs. A search of the vehicle resulted in the seizure of 53 grams of fentanyl, two spring-loaded knives, a conducted energy weapon, brass knuckles, cellphones, cash, scales and other drug paraphernalia.
Nicholas McCarthy (age 29) of Oshawa, Ontario was arrested and charged with:
• Possession of a Schedule I substance for the purpose of trafficking-opioid
• Possession of a prohibited device or ammunition-four counts
• Possession of property obtained by crime under $5000
• Possession of firearm or ammunition contrary to Prohibition Order
• Failure to comply with Probation Order
• Operation while impaired-alcohol and drugs
The accused is scheduled to appear in the Ontario Court of Justice in Peterborough on August 25, 2021.