The Quinte West Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) has laid charges following the theft of a persons identity and money in Trenton.
On October 6, 2022, at approximately 5:50 p.m., Quinte West OPP responded a financial institution located on Dundas Street East following a report of a suspicious person trying to withdraw money from another person’s account. Officers arrived on scene and the suspect fled on foot. Following a brief foot pursuit, the accused was arrested. Investigation learned that the accused utilized another persons identification to obtain credit and withdraw funds on more than one occasion, totaling over $30000. The accused continued to provide a false name to police until fingerprints revealed their true identification.
Melissa BESSETTE, 41 years old from Montreal has been charged with the following offences:
- Theft over $5000
- Theft under $5000 – two counts
- Use credit card data- four counts
- Identity theft – obtain or possess another person’s identity information
- Personation with intent – intent to obtain property – two counts
- Obstruct peace officer – two counts: and
- Fail to comply with probation order
The accused was released from custody and is scheduled to appear at the Ontario Court of Justice in Belleville on November 10, 2022.