On Friday, October 7, 2022, at 10:30 p.m., police on general patrol conducted a traffic stop on Elizabeth Street in the Town of Cobourg.
Police investigation revealed that the licence plates had been altered, and the driver was wanted on an outstanding warrant with the OPP.
The driver, a 40-year-old Port Hope woman, was arrested. During the arrest, police located a small quantity of suspected crystal methamphetamine. The woman was charged with the following:
- Use Plates Not Authorized for Vehicle contrary to section 12(1)(d) of the Highway Traffic Act (HTA)
- Drive Motor Vehicle – No License contrary to section 32(1) of the HTA
- Operate Motor Vehicle – No Insurance contrary to section 2(1)(a) of the Compulsory Automobile Insurance Act
- Fail to Apply for Permit on Becoming Owner contrary to section 11(2) of the HTA
- Alter Plate contrary to section 12(1)(a) of the HTA
- Possession of a Controlled Substance to wit Crystal Methamphetamine contrary to section 4(1) of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act
- Two counts of Fail to comply with probation contrary to section 733.1(1) of the Criminal Code
The accused was released on an appearance notice and summons with a court date scheduled for November 30, 2022